Summer Financial Aid 2019We are already reviewing students for financial aid for summer!
A SUMMER APPLICATION FOR FINANCIAL AID IS NOT REQUIRED!
To save YOU time and effort, your eligibility for summer financial aid will automatically be reviewed if you meet the criteria listed below under “Eligible for Summer Aid Review.” You will receive a notification to your student MIX email via your WVU Portal once your review is complete.ELIGIBLE FOR SUMMER AID REVIEW
- You are REGISTERED for summer classes at least half-time.
- You have a valid 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted to WVU. Note: For students who have utilized all or most of their Federal Pell Grant during fall and spring, it may benefit them to submit both the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 FAFSAs for potential summer Pell Grant consideration.
- You do not have any unsatisfied requirements on your account preventing a financial aid review.
- You are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards for financial aid eligibility.
- If you are seeking a degree from WVU but taking summer courses at another institution, complete the transient financial aid application process.
- If you are participating in a study abroad or exchange program for summer, see our Study Abroad page for more information.
- No valid FAFSA on file for 2018-2019.
- Enrolled less than half-time (unless you are a Pell Grant-eligible student who did not use full-time Pell during fall and/or spring)
- You are a visiting or transient student from another institution (contact your home school regarding summer financial aid).
- You are working on a certificate (not seeking a degree).
- You are a non-degree student. Note: If the classes are required for acceptance into a degree-seeking program, you may be eligible. See our Non-Degree Student page for more information.
Estimate Your Summer Cost of Attendance
These Excel spreadsheets can help you estimate your cost of attendance for summer. Please note books, room and board (if living off-campus), transportation, and personal expenses are estimated indirect costs you may accrue during your summer enrollment. Only tuition and fees (and room/board if living on-campus) will show as charges to your student account for summer.
- Morgantown Campus
- Keyser Campus (Potomac State College of WVU)
- Beckley Campus (WVU Institute of Technology)
Potential Summer Aid and Options
- Summer Gift Aid: This is financial aid that usually does not need to be repaid (such as grants and scholarships).
- Summer Borrowed Aid: This is financial aid that has to be repaid (loans). Please note that summer eligibility for Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans depends on federal annual limits and the amount already borrowed during Fall 2018 and/or Spring 2019. See below for the maximum annual limits.
- Summer Federal Work-Study or Student Employment: These are part-time employment opportunities for students. These funds are earned as paychecks as students work throughout the semester and do not apply directly to students' institutional charges (bill) as payment.
- Monthly Payment Plan: The monthly payment allows students to break a portion or all of their bill into monthly payments. See studentaccounts.wvu.edu/payment/tuition-payment-plan for more information.
- Other Funding Options
Annual Direct Maximum Subsidized/Unsubsidized Eligibility (Fall 2018, Spring 2019, and/or Summer 2019)
Check your STAR account via your WVU Portal at portal.wvu.edu to calculate if you have already borrowed your annual limit in federal student loans.
|0 to 29 Earned Hours = Freshman||$5,500||$9,500|
|30 to 59 Earned Hours = Sophomore||$6,500||$10,500|
|60+ Earned Hours = Junior and Senior||$7,500||$12,500|
|Graduate & Professional (excluding below)||N/A||$20,500|
|Level||9 Month Annual Limit||12 Month Annual Limit|
|Professional MD and DDS||$40,500||$47,167|
|Professional Doctor of Pharmacy (last 2 years), Public Health & Health Administration (last 2 years)||$33,000||$39,667|
Other Resources to Finance Summer
- Monthly payment plan: For more information or to sign up, visit studentaccounts.wvu.edu/payment/tuition-payment-plan.
- Vocational Rehabilitation: Contact your vocational rehabilitation counselor.
- PA State Grant: Information can be found at pheaa.org
- Promise Scholarship: See our Summer PROMISE page for more information.
- External or departmental scholarships: Students should always continue seeking additional scholarship assistance.
- Student employment: Students can seek on- or off-campus employment to help with indirect costs - such as supplies, personal, and transportation costs.
Understanding Your Summer Financial Aid Offer
If you have received a summer financial aid email notification and would like more information about responding to the offer, please review our Summer Financial Aid Offer page.