Skip to main content

External Scholarships

External or private scholarships are provided by private entities. Students can seek out external scholarship opportunities. Students should check with local businesses, organizations, churches, libraries, and high school counselors for local scholarships from their area.

Students may also be "sponsored" by a third-party who pays institutional charges to the school on behalf of the student. Below is information regarding third-parties and scholarship search engines.

AmeriCorps - Vista Program

Students who participate in AmeriCorps – Vista may use their AmeriCorps voucher for a variety of education purposes. For information about the benefits of community service through AmeriCorps, visit

Students can request an education payout for expenses for a current term by logging into their My AmeriCorps account at  In order to request a payment toward current education expenses, the student needs to select “Education Award for Education Expenses” from the menu after logging in. Next, the student needs to fill out the requested information, such as the school they would like the request sent to as well as the term to which they would like the payment applied. Please be specific in the term (i.e. “Fall 2019” as opposed to just “Fall”). The payment can only be applied to semesters which start after the semester in which the student earned their voucher. For example, if the student worked for AmeriCorps in summer, then the voucher can be applied to any term from the fall term on.

Students may also request forbearance from their loan payments while working for AmeriCorps, request a payment of interest accrued on loans, or request a payment directly to loans. However, West Virginia University can only process forbearance, interest payments, and loan payments for Perkins loans held by the University. If a student wants to make a payment to a Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized loan, then the online request must be submitted to the student’s loan servicer.

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits 

Students with disabilities can contact their local Vocational Rehabilitation Office for information regarding possible scholarships or sponsorships the agency may provide. Please note students should also contact the WVU Office of Accessibility Services to see what services are available to you at WVU.

Here are a few common rehabilitation agencies which have provided sponsorships to WVU students who are residents of their state:

Scholarship Search Engines

See our Tips on Applying for advice on applying for private scholarships.