Skip to main content
  • Home
  • Other Funding Options

Other Funding Options

If you or your family will be paying your balance due in full and want information on how to submit payments to the University, visit for more information. There are also tutorials to help walk you through submitting your payment online.

In addition to scholarships, grants, and/or loans offered by the institution, state, or federal government, there are additional ways students can fund their educational expenses.

College Savings Plans

If you invested in a college savings plan such as a 529 or prepaid college plan, it is important to contact your plan manager for instructions on how to send funds to the institution. Some plans only require a request from the plan holder while others need a bill printed from the student’s WVU Portal.

Return to Top

Third-Party Sponsors

Third-Party Sponsors are entities which pay institutional charges for a student. Examples: Vocational Rehabilitation, military, employers, etc. Students may qualify for assistance through these entities.

Find information on what sponsors should provide.

Return to Top

Monthly Payment Plan

West Virginia University offers a monthly payment plan to help students spread all or a portion of their institutional charges over several months. View more information or sign up for the monthly payment plan.

The payment plan is usually available in March for the fall semester. Students can estimate their plan based on their estimated direct cost (university tuition, college tuition, room, meal plan, etc.) then adjust when the actual bill becomes available if necessary. It's better not to wait for the semester bill and to sign up as early as possible to spread payments out over as many months as possible.

Return to Top

Student Employment

Students can seek on- or off-campus employment to help with indirect costs – such as supplies, personal, and transportation costs – through the MountaineerTRAK system at

Return to Top

Private and Departmental Scholarships

Students should always continue seeking additional scholarship assistance through their department (i.e. program of study) and private establishments. View a breakdown of different scholarship sources as well as tips on applying.

Return to Top

Credit-Based Loan Options (PLUS and Private)

There are a variety of different credit-based loan options from the federal government and private lenders. However, there are differences between federal and private loans such as the borrower, the lender, interest rates, fees, and terms. We have tools to help you determine what works best for you!

Return to Top