Skip to main content

Study Abroad

3 Main Types of Study Abroad Programs

Exchange Programs: The student pays tuition and fees at their home institution, and they receive the same benefits abroad. These programs provide credit from the partner institution that will be transferred to WVU via the WVU Education Abroad Office. Tuition and Fees are charged to the student’s account for outgoing exchange.

Faculty-led Programs: This type of study abroad experience is led by a WVU faculty member. These programs can range from one week to one semester in length. Tuition and fees are charged to the student’s account.

Affiliate Programs: WVU works with third-party companies to allow students a wider variety of study abroad experiences. These programs require a consortium agreement with the Affiliate company. You will be required to submit a Transient Financial Aid Request Form and Study Abroad Credit Application. Tuition and fees are paid to the Affiliate company by the student.

Financial Aid for Study Abroad Programs

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Priority deadline to complete the FAFSA is March 1.
  2. Visit the Study Abroad Office to choose a program.
  3. Be enrolled at least half-time.
  4. Contact the Mountaineer Hub for information on aid eligibility. Documentation of trip costs may be requested when determining your financial aid eligibility.
  5. Seek out study abroad scholarships.
  6. If studying abroad through an affiliate program, you must also:
    1. Submit a "Transient Financial Aid Request" form available on the Forms section of our website.
    2. Submit a "Study Abroad Credit Application" completed with the Study Abroad Office.
    3. Once those documents are received, WVU will contact the affiliate for additional documentation before determining aid eligibility.

Types of Aid Which May Be Used For Study Abroad:

  • WVU Outgoing Exchange: Federal grants, loans, state aid, scholarships, and waivers.
  • Faculty-led: Federal grants, loans, state aid, scholarships and waivers.
  • Affiliate: Federal grants, loans and institutional scholarships.

Important information: Some scholarships and grants require students show a certain number of earned credit hours to renew the aid for a future academic year. Students who use these types of aid for study abroad trips will not be able to renew their scholarship/grant until transcripts of the credit hours earned during the study abroad program are received by WVU and posted to their student record. Example, if a student uses the WV Higher Education Grant for a spring study abroad trip, their study abroad transcripts must be showing on the students Unofficial Transcripts on STAR (via their WVU Portal) before the grant can be renewed for the following fall and spring semesters.

PROMISE and Study Abroad

  • If you are studying abroad through WVU in an Exchange or Faculty-led program and tuition and fees are charged to your student account with WVU, you can receive the PROMISE scholarship as normal for the semester.
  • If you are studying abroad through an affiliate company and as such do not have tuition and fee charges through your WVU student account, you must request a deferral through the state agency (WV Higher Education Policy Commission) to maintain you PROMISE Scholarship eligibility. You will not be eligible for the semester you are studying abroad through an affiliate company.
  • Before renewal of your scholarship, transcripts of the credit hours earned during the study abroad program must be received by WVU and posted to your student record.

Plan Wisely

You will be responsible for deposits or other payments due prior to the WVU-scheduled disbursement of financial aid for the semester for which you are traveling.