Skip to main content

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Per federal regulation, Financial Aid must monitor Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for all financial aid recipients.

Introduction to Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must maintain a certain level of academic progress toward completing their degree or teacher certification in order to retain potential eligibility for aid - including student loans, parent loans, federal work study, and grants.

Satisfactory academic progress is measured at the end of the spring semester for any student who was enrolled in the preceding summer, fall, or spring semesters. If a student not enrolled in those terms later submits a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a manual review is completed to determine the student's SAP status for financial aid. The measurement will be based on the student's current academic record at the time of review. Students enrolling at the institution for the first time are initially considered to be making SAP (including incoming first-time freshmen and first-time transfer students).

Academic progress standards include:

  • A minimum overall grade point average (GPA);
  • Completion of at least 67% of all attempted credit hours (completion rate);
  • A maximum amount of attempted hours based on the student’s degree objective.

Visit the Minimum SAP Standards page for more information on the minimum criteria.

Students who are NOT maintaining these standards after the SAP reviews immediately lose eligibility for aid until they can improve their academic record. If a student continues after not maintaining SAP standards, they must do so without federal, state, and/or institutional financial aid.

While there is an appeal process in place, only students who can document extenuating circumstances which occurred during an enrollment period, have taken steps to address those circumstances, and can come back into compliance or graduate within three semesters should appeal. Students must meet with their academic advisor to appeal (or Academic Affairs for students on the Keyser campus). Students are responsible for making payments when their bills are due regardless of the status of the appeal.

Students can view the status of their financial aid academic progress on STAR (under the Financial Aid tab, click on “Eligibility” and then on “Academic Progress”).

Please note that in addition to meeting overall SAP, certain aid programs (such as state and institutional grants and scholarships) may have their own renewal requirements with minimum overall GPAs and/or earning a certain amount of credit hours.

Each student is responsible for their awareness of the SAP policy. Click here to read the full Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.