Freshman and Transfer Scholarships for Non-Residents of West Virginia
Current scholarship information and values pertain to incoming freshmen for fall 2023 and is not retroactive to previous classes or currently enrolled students. Students entering WVU prior to the fall 2023 semester may have been offered different scholarships and/or amounts. Future students may also have different criteria or values.
For consideration, students must be admitted by the deadlines listed for each scholarship. Please review all deadlines carefully.
West Virginia University awards numerous academic scholarships to incoming freshmen.
Automatic Consideration Based on Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Year
Students cannot receive both the Scholarship of Distinction and Go First Scholarship.
- Scholarship of Distinction
- Go First Scholarship
- Dean and Excellence Scholarships for Morgantown
- Departmental Scholarships
- WVU System Connection Grant
Separate Application Required
- University Merit Scholarship
- Leadership Scholarship
- Diversity Scholarship
- WVU Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Medicine Employee Dependent Tuition Benefit
- State Scholarships and Grants
- Study Abroad Scholarships
- Private Scholarships
- Departmental Scholarships
- Scholarships offers are made on an ongoing basis beginning approximately by December for the upcoming academic year.
- If a student's residency status changes after a scholarship offer has been made - or they are switched from paying non-resident to resident tuition and fees - the original aid offer will no longer be valid due to the change in costs. The change in tuition and fees is a big reduction in educational costs. Students will be re-evaluated to determine aid eligibility. The impact of changing tuition and fee rates is explained under each scholarship.
- Scholarship amounts may be affected if students are receiving additional financial aid or assistance. See our Scholarship FAQs webpage for information on receiving multiple scholarships and/or aid.
- You may also qualify for other financial resources to assist with educational expenses. For priority consideration, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to March 1. To receive a complete financial aid and scholarship offer from WVU as quickly as possible, we encourage students to submit the FAFSA when it becomes available on October 1. Please note the Department of Education has delayed the launch of the 2024-2025 FAFSA. For the most up-to-date information, visit the Federal Student Aid webpage.
- The priority submission deadline for submitting the FAFSA is usually March 1. The 2024-2025 priority deadline has been extended to April 1, 2024 due to the delayed FAFSA launch.
See our Scholarship FAQs webpage for information on applying for scholarships, scholarship offers, summer, and more. See our Renewal Requirements webpage for information that institutional scholarship/grant recipients need to know about maintaining their scholarship for future academic years as well as deferral and leave of absence information.