In recognition of outstanding achievement, West Virginia University provides a scholarship to first-time freshmen who have achieved the highest levels of honor or leadership within certain nationally acclaimed organizations.
The Leadership Scholarship is valued at $500 per year.
- For consideration, students must be incoming freshmen who have a high school GPA of at least 3.0 and an ACT composite of at least 21 or combined new SAT of 1070 (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing score and Math score only).
- Students must submit verification (i.e. certificate or letter of proof) showing they have achieved the recognized honor from one of the listed organizations to the Mountaineer Hub. The information may be scanned and submitted online or faxed to 304-293-4890. Please include the student name, WVU ID number, and date of birth with the information sent. The deadline for consideration is August 1 for the upcoming academic year.
- Starting with the fall 2019 semester, students may receive this scholarship while attending WVU at Beckley, Keyser, or Morgantown.
- Students must be enrolled full-time to receive this scholarship.
- The Leadership Scholarship may usually be used in addition to other WVU-offered scholarships.
- Students may renew the scholarship for future academic years by maintaining a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 and earning at least 30 credit hours each academic year.
- Students enrolled in a 1st associate degree program may receive this scholarship up to a maximum of 4 semesters, or until completion of a 1st associate degree, whichever comes first. Once admitted into a bachelor's degree program, they may receive any remaining semesters up to a total of 8 semesters, or until completion of a 1st bachelor's degree, whichever comes first.
- Boy Scouts of America: Eagle Scout Rank
- Girl Scouts of the USA: Gold Award
- 4-H: Selected by home state to be a delegate to the National 4-H Congress (or received a charting pin in West Virginia)
- Civil Air Patrol: Amelia Earhart Award
- Boys and Girls Nation: Be selected and attend
- American Heritage Girls and Boy Scouts of America Venturing: Stars & Stripes Award