Skip to main content

Federal Notices

The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008 requires disclosure of policies that can affect students in colleges and universities. The following information is disclosed to you as a student at West Virginia University or one of its divisional campuses in compliance with federal law.

Estimated Costs and Tuition

Students can find different ways to estimate tuition, costs for financial aid purposes, and estimate aid (for incoming freshmen or prospective freshmen) on our Estimate Costs & Aid webpage.

Return to Top of Page

Applying for Federal Financial Aid

For federal financial aid consideration ( Title IV funds), students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Federal Student Aid website each year they are admitted/enrolled and want federal aid consideration. Please visit our Applying for Aid and Preparing for the FAFSA webpages for more information.

Return to Top of Page


Students may be selected by the Department of Education for a process called "verification." More information regarding verification including requirements, deadlines, and how to submit documents can be found on our Verification website.

Return to Top of Page

Types of Aid

There are various types of aid students may be eligible to receive based on financial need and/or academic merit. See our Types of Aid webpage for more information.

Eligibility for aid, depending on the aid program, may also be impacted by many other factors. For more information, please visit our All About Your Aid Offer webpage.

Return to Top of Page

Entrance and Exit Counseling for Federal Student Loans

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans (Entrance and Exit Counseling)

Information is available on the Federal Student Aid website for the entrance and exit counseling required for federal loan borrowers of subsidized, unsubsidized, and Graduate PLUS loans. Entrance counseling is required before loans can disburse, and exit counseling is required when a student is no longer enrolled at least half-time (due to graduation, not returning, or reducing enrollment).

Federal TEACH Grant (Entrance, Subsequent, and Exit Counseling)

Federal TEACH Grant recipients must completed entrance counseling (or subsequent counseling if the grant has been received before) each aid year they receive the grant before it can disburse (in addition to the Agreement to Serve or Repay requirement). Entrance and subsequent counseling is available at the Federal Student Aid website. These students must also complete exit counseling when they graduate or leave the program of study for which they received the grant. TEACH exit counseling is available at the Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Perkins and Institutional Loans

Students who have borrowed Perkins or institutional loans must complete exit counseling when the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time (due to graduation, not returning, or reducing enrollment). Exit counseling for these loans is provided by a third-party, Heartland ECSI. Students will be emailed instructions to their student MIX email (via the WVU Portal) from Heartland ECSI when exit counseling must be completed.

Return to Top of Page

Terms and Conditions of Federal Student Loans

The Terms and Conditions of federal student loans are listed on the Master Promissory Note which must be completed and signed by the student before their federal loans can disburse. The Master Promissory Note (or Loan Agreement) also describes the Rights and Responsibilities of the borrower.

Listed below are links to the Rights and Responsibilities for different types of federal student loans:

Students can use the Repayment Estimator on the Federal Student Aid website for more accurate repayment estimates based on their circumstances.

Return to Top of Page

Average Federal Loan Indebtedness

See below for the average federal loan indebtedness for students who graduated from a West Virginia University campus in May 2023.

Student Type Average Indebtedness of Federal Loan Borrowers at Graduation
(includes only students who borrowed federal loans)
Percentage of Students Who Graduated with No Federal Loan Debt
Associate Degree (Resident Student) $9,548 58%
Associate Degree (Non-Resident Student) $9,113 46%
Bachelor's Degree (Resident Student) $18,374 50%
Bachelor's Degree (Non-Resident Student) $21,075 40%
Graduate Degree (Resident Student) $37,004 43%
Graduate Degree (Non-Resident Student) $47,754 59%
Professional Degree (Resident Student) $118,047 29%
Professional Degree (Non-Resident Student) $196,013 50%

You may download our May 2023 Graduate Indebtedness spreadsheet to see the average federal student loan indebtedness of graduates from each academic department. Please note that you may see a warning when opening this file due to the protection settings.

Please refer to the Student Loan Data Statistics webpage on the Education Data Initiative website for national student loan information. If the student would like to learn more about repayment and estimate their monthly payment, a Loan Simulator is available on the Federal Student Aid website. A video on responsible borrowing is available on YouTube with tips on how to keep student loan debt manageable.

Return to Top of Page

Student Loan Problems

Borrowers should first attempt to resolve complaints about their federal direct loans by contacting the school, company, agency, or office directly involved. If the borrower has made a reasonable effort to resolve the problem through normal processes and has not been successful, they should contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman.

Return to Top of Page

A student whose eligibility has been suspended based on a conviction for possession or sale of a controlled substance may resume eligibility before the end of the ineligibility period listed above if one of the following scenarios occurs:

Refund Disbursement Information

All students (whether Pell Grant eligible or not) whose financial aid and payments are more than their institutional charges at the start of the semester are eligible for a financial aid refund. Visit our Refunds webpage for additional information and to learn how to sign up for direct deposit.

Return to Top of Page

Refund Policy (Reduction of Charges)

The University has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that will be refunded to a student who withdraws from all classes during a term. This policy is published by the WVU Hub and can be viewed on our Withdrawal webpage.

Return to Top of Page

Textbook Information

Students may purchase textbooks using the WVU bookstore. For more information about using financial aid to purchase books through the WVU bookstore, refer to our Bookstore Programs webpage.

Attention Federal Pell Grant recipients: Financial aid is disbursed approximately 10 days prior to the first day of classes for each term. Therefore, if your Pell Grant and any other disbursed aid exceed your institutional charges, you should (if eligible) receive any reimbursements to purchase books and supplies by the required seventh day of the term.

Return to Top of Page

Withdrawal Procedures

Students withdrawing from classes must follow the withdrawal policies posted on the Office of the University Registrar's website.

Repayment Policy (Return of Title IV Aid)

The federal government mandates that students withdrawing from all classes may keep only the financial aid they have "earned" up to the time of withdrawal. Funds paid to the student's account in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the student. The repayment policy is available on our Withdrawing from Courses webpage.

Return to Top of Page

Study Abroad

Students may be able to receive financial aid for study abroad trips. More information can be found on our Study Abroad webpage.

Return to Top of Page

Code of Conduct for Financial Aid Professionals and Advisory Disclosure

Student Financial Services has established a code of conduct for financial aid professionals as required by law. Student Financial Services discloses that currently no financial aid professional on staff is serving on a lender advisory board.

Return to Top of Page