Loan Forgiveness and Fresh Start Resources
The following is not a full list of all loan forgiveness programs. Students and graduates should research other options to suit their needs if necessary.
Federal Loans in Default
The U.S. Department of Education has announced the “Fresh Start” initiative to help borrowers in default. If your loans are eligible, you’ll temporarily regain several student aid benefits. You’ll also get the opportunity to get out of default and keep those benefits for the long term. You can log in to the Federal Student Aid website to see if you have defaulted loans. You can find more information about the program on the Fresh Start Program webpage.
Federal Loan Forgiveness
- Federal Student Aid website (log in to view student loan and Pell grant information)
- Preparing for Repayment
- New Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) Repayment Plans
- One-Time Loan Forgiveness Program webpage
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) webpage
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness
- Student Loan Consolidation