Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
The Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) may be offered to some undergraduate, degree-seeking students who meet certain eligibility criteria.
- Eligible Students
- Eligibility Criteria
- Enrollment Requirements
- Additional Information and Requirements
- How to Apply
Only available for undergraduate-level students who have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree.
Students may be considered for this grant if:
- They complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and
- They are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant on the basis of Expected Family Contribution from their FAFSA but meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements or are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant but not receiving the maximum amount, and
- Their parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
- They were under 24 years old or enrolled at an institution of higher education at least part-time at the time of their parent's or guardian's death, and
- They have been admitted into a degree-seeking undergraduate program, and
- They have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree.
The IASG pays out at a pro-rated amount based on the student's enrollment in courses that count for Title IV federal and WV state aid eligibility.
Students cannot receive the grant after completion of a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. Financial aid for each aid year also cannot exceed a student's cost of attendance.
Additional Information and Requirements
- Students must continue to meet satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid eligibility.
- The amount initially awarded is based on anticipated full-time enrollment. The actual amount that disburses is based on the number of credit hours in which the student is enrolled on the last day of the add/drop period for the semester.
- IASG funds usually do not need to be repaid except for some limited circumstances.
- Additional information is available on the Federal Student Aid Pell Grants website.
How to Apply
To be considered for an IASG, students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).