Summer 2013 Financial Aid
Please review the summary below concerning Summer financial aid:
- Main campus students can apply once registered for Summer classes.
- If funding is available, Main Campus and HSC students can apply for full-time Federal Work-Study once registered for Fall 2013 classes. Full-time Federal Work-Study isn’t available if enrolled for Summer classes.
- Students taking Summer classes who are WVU Potomac State College, WVU Institute of Technology, WVU College of Law, and WVU Health Sciences Center majors will need to contact the appropriate financial aid office for Summer information.
- Visiting students enrolled in a degree program from another school who are registered for Summer classes at WVU will need to contact their home school for instructions on how to apply for Summer aid.
The link to request Summer financial aid will be available on this website on April 2nd.
|April 19th||Priority Deadline for Submitting Online Request for Summer Financial Aid – in order to ensure processing in time for disbursement on the first day of classes (must be registered, have valid FAFSA, etc.)|
|May 10th||Last Day to Pick Up Full Time Summer Federal Work Study Assignment (funding may or may not be available for this program during Summer 2013)|
|May 13th||Last Day to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal for Summer Financial Aid|
|Add/Drop Dates||Click Here to Review Add/Drop Dates for various Summer Session Dates|
|June 30th||Last Day to Complete the 2012-2013 FAFSA for Summer 2013 aid|
|July 31st||Final Day to complete online Request for Summer Financial Aid and to submit Non-Degree Student Aid Applications, Summer PLUS Loan Applications, and Adjustment Requests for Summer Financial Aid|
Important Information About Financial Aid for Summer
Register First Before Applying for Summer 2013 Financial Aid – Unless you are:
- planning to study abroad or
- planning to study at another school
- requesting a Full-time Federal Work-Study position (depending upon available funding)
Pre-Registration Dates for Summer 2013:
|DATE||WHO CAN REGISTER|
|Tuesday, April 2||Professionals, Graduates, Disabilities, Honors Sr. and L3|
|Wednesday, April 3||Honors Jr. and L2|
|Thursday, April 4||Honors So. and L1|
|Friday, April 5||Honors Fr.|
|Monday, April 8||Seniors|
|Wednesday, April 10||Juniors|
|Friday, April 12||Sophomores|
|Monday, April 15||Freshmen|
Half-Time Enrollment or Greater for Federal Loans
Students requesting federal loans must be registered at least half-time (Undergraduate level students need to be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours and Graduate and Professional level students need to be enrolled for at least 3 credit hours to be considered for federal loans)
FAFSA Must Be Complete
Students seeking Summer aid must have a valid FAFSA on file with our office and all necessary requirements complete.
- Students requesting Federal student loans must complete the 2012-2013 FAFSA.
- Students requesting a Full-time Federal Work-Study job must complete BOTH the 2012-13 AND the 2013-14 FAFSAs.
- The FAFSA can be completed online at http://www.fafsa.gov.
Processing Time Needed
Allow at least two weeks for processing from the date of your Request for Summer Financial Aid if you are properly registered and have a valid FAFSA on file in our office.
Disbursement at Minimum Courseload Requirement
Disbursement of Summer financial aid will not occur until the start of the class that represents the minimum course load requirement. EXAMPLE: an Undergraduate who takes a 3 hour class which starts on May 21st and takes another 3 hour class which starts on July 2nd will not receive a disbursement of loan funds until July 2nd. Your disbursement date will depend upon your start date for the minimum course load required for your type of aid. (Verification of enrollment at the end of add/drop may need to be completed prior to disbursement of aid for some students)
Federal Student Loans Limited to Remaining Annual Eligibility
Students applying for Federal Student Loans for Summer may only borrow the remaining portion of their annual eligibility for 2012-2013 (check STAR to see what you have used and compare with the annual eligibility chart below:
|Annual Eligibility Maximum|
|Check Your STAR Account at star.wvu.edu to see if you have already borrowed the annual limit for federal student loans|
|Freshman 0-28 hrs||$5,500||$9,500|
|Sophomore 29-58 hrs||$6,500||$10,500|
|Junior/Senior 59+ hrs||$7,500||$12,500|
|*Your FAFSA answers determine your status as Dependent or Independent for federal financial aid eligibility purposes.|
Other Loan Options to Try
Other Forms of Financial Assistance for Summer*
- Part-time Federal Work Study jobs, Perkins Loans, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and West Virginia HEAPS Grants are not available for Summer 2013.
- Full-Time Federal Work-Study Jobs: There may or may not be funding available for Full-time Federal Work-Study positions during Summer 2013.
If funding for Full-time Federal Work-Study positions is available, those students who are eligible must: – NOT be registered for Summer classes at WVU or any other school AND – have BOTH the 2012-13 AND the 2013-14 FAFSAs completed AND – be registered for at least 6 credit hours for Fall 2013
Complete the Online Request for Summer 2013 Financial Aid:
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING SUMMER AID REQUESTS WAS JULY 31, 2013. NO FURTHER REQUESTS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Students in need of aid may seek a private loan. A list of potential lenders is available at http://financialaid.wvu.edu/aid-and-scholarships/loans/private-loans
If your Summer Financial Aid has already been processed, please review the following document:
If your Summer Financial Aid has already been processed, but you would like to change your previous request:
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING SUMMER AID ADJUSTMENT REQUESTS WAS JULY 31, 2013. NO FURTHER REQUESTS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Students in need of additional aid may seek a private loan. A list of potential lenders is available at http://financialaid.wvu.edu/aid-and-scholarships/loans/private-loans
To learn more about the specific requirements and options for financial assistance contact the Financial Aid Office located on the 2nd Floor of the Mountainlair. You can call our office at (304) 293-5242. Financial aid questions can also be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.