AmeriCorps – Vista Program

Students that participate in the AmeriCorps – Vista program are able to use their AmeriCorps voucher for a variety of education purposes. Students can request an education payout for expenses for a current term by logging in to their My AmeriCorps accounts at

In order to request that a voucher pay toward current education expenses, the student needs to select “Education Award for Education Expenses” from the menu after logging in. Then the student needs to fill out the requested information, such as the school they would like the request sent to as well as the term to which they would like the payment applied. Please be specific in the term (i.e. “Fall 2012” as opposed to just “Fall”). The payment can only be applied to terms after the term in which the student earned their voucher from AmeriCorps. For example, if the student worked for AmeriCorps in the Summer, then the voucher can be applied to any term from the consecutive Fall term on.

The student can also request forbearance from his or her loans while working for AmeriCorps, request a payment of interest accrued on loans, or request a payment directly to loans. However, West Virginia University can only process forbearance, interest payments, and loan payments for Perkins loans held by the university. If the student wants to make a payment to a Federal Subsidized or Unsubsidized loan, then the online request must be submitted to the student’s loan servicer.

For more information about the benefits of community service through the AmeriCorps program, please visit